Dear Concordia Students,
Welcome to the 138th academic year at Concordia College New York!
It is an honor to serve as your Chief Academic Officer. When I arrived at Concordia College in 2011, I knew instantly that it was a very special place. Our faith tradition, the commitment of the faculty to students and the expertise that faculty share, our purpose-driven mission, and most importantly, our students make Concordia a proud institution of learning. It has been my privilege to get to know our students on their transformative journey to reaching their potential.
As we begin this new academic year, while there are many new initiatives underway, I take this opportunity to share some recent updates:
1) Assessment Efforts: We are passionately committed to creating a new, innovative process for assessment. This means that, for some courses, your assignments may look a little different from past courses. Assessment is critical to ensure that we are continually evaluating and improving our current programs and planning new programs so that we can provide the best educational outcomes for our students. Assessment is also a required component of our Middle States Accreditation. Dr. Nereida Quiles-Wasserman, who started on September 15, will be an integral part of this process as she assists me in her new role as Director of Assessment, Research, & Compliance. She has served Concordia for 11 years. You will certainly hear from Dr. Quiles-Wasserman and about your student role in this process.
2) Student Experience Team Changes: Since orientation, Kathy Laoutaris (’93) has been serving as Director of Athletics & Campus Life. She will continue to captain the Athletic Department while also overseeing the Campus Life Department. Kathy has served at Concordia for 26 years and we are thrilled to have her in this new role. Eleanor Evangelista joined the team earlier this summer as Senior Director of Student Academic Support, and John Dana will serve as Associate Director of Campus Life. I will continue to work closely with Student Experience to provide high quality services to our students.
3) Music Program Optimizations: We continue to optimize our musical academic offerings to best meet the demands of today’s job marketplace. This includes offering world-class musical programs through our Concordia Conservatory. We will continue to offer our Music concentration as part of our Interdisciplinary offerings. In addition, Arts for Healing, a well-known provider of creative arts therapies to people of all ages with special needs in Connecticut, will now be a part of Concordia. We are excited for the innovative new opportunities this will provide our students. Two choirs will be offered this year: the Gospel Choir voluntarily directed by Monique Nunes, and the Concordia Community Choir, conducted by George Heath.
4) Innovative Career Offerings: This Fall we have launched our partnership with Handshake, a career community designed with you in mind. We are passionate about helping you find a meaningful career. Stay tuned for more information from the ARCH team on how you can take advantage of this valuable resource.
5) Communication: My door is always open. In my role as Chief Academic Officer, I plan to have a dedicated time and place each week to meet with students, staff and faculty. More information on this will be coming shortly. I look forward to seeing you on campus and at our off-campus locations.
With best wishes,
Dr. Stephanie Squires